We're Jason, Beth, Lee Anna, Sawyer, and Sarah Claire, a family of five living, learning, and laughing lots in Northern Africa.
We hope you can learn a little (and maybe laugh a little too) as you read about our latest adventures.

Saturday, December 06, 2008

So What Do Parents Really Do, Anyway?

We got a little insight into how Lee Anna sees our world this week. She and I were listening to some Christmas music one day when a sweet song came on about a boy who doesn't have a mom or dad and, more than anything else, would really like a family for Christmas.

I seized the teachable moment, taking the opportunity to explain to Lee Anna a little bit about orphans. I told her that some children don't have a mom or dad, and they usually live in a special home just for kids without parents.

She thought about this for a minute, and then said, "So I guess those kids have to look at their own computers."

A little puzzled by her response, I asked her what she meant.

"You know, like to see if they have email...or stuff like that."

And then it dawned on me. Her little mind's first response to the question "What do moms and dads do?" was "They look at their computers."

I think the reasoning probably went something like this: Since my parents do it SO MUCH, I guess email and that other computer stuff they do must be really, really important. Apparently everybody has to do it. I mean, why else would my parents be doing it ALL THE TIME? So if a kid didn't have parents to do it for him like my parents do, he would have to do it for himself.


In our defense, I feel compelled to point out that we do feed, dress, bathe, teach, play with, cook with, read to, sing with, talk to, color with, laugh with, and snuggle with our kids regularly. But I will admit that it's possible, just possible, that maybe occasionally we spend too much time sitting behind these silly desks. A gentle reminder that there is life to be lived away from these machines is probably quite well-deserved.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go check my email.

No comments:

Post a Comment